Is your company's website WCAG 2.0 compliant?
What is WCAG, and What's the Issue?
The vast world of the Internet was built to free us from the limitations of "offline life". It was designed to work for ALL people - no matter their hardware, software, culture, language, country, or physical and mental capabilities.
When your website meets these objectives, it is accessible to users with a wide range of hearing, movement, sight, and cognitive ability, and compliant with W3C standards, and Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The potential disadvantage of a disability is reversed because your website removes the walls to communication and interaction that many people can face offline.
If a website is poorly designed, it can create barriers and challenges that exclude people from using all that the Internet has to offer. How do you know if your company's website meets WCAG and is ADA compliant? It can be difficult.
Why WCAG 2.0 Compliance Makes Sense, Other Factors
Aside from the need to be socially responsible, there are many reasons ADA compliance makes sense for your business:
- Cost of WCAG 2.0 compliance tends to be small, typically less than 5-10% of total costs
- One in five people in the United States have a disability, thus compliance likely improves user experience for a substantial portion of overall visitors
- From an ethics standpoint, compliance is good for brand perception
- SEO; many WCAG compliance requirements directly relate to better rankings on the search engines
- Improved user experience for all users; compliance typically resolves issues such as broken links, which plague all website visitors
How Xivic Can Help
Xivic's methodology for tackling ADA compliance is a straightforward process and typically covers the following:
- Audit and report on compliance issues to get a general quick prognosis of the situation (live or software in development).
- Consulting to determine which level of ADA compliance is appropriate for the company.
- Develop an implementation plan based on the prognosis and level of compliance needed.
- Implementation and Testing until compliance is reached
- Monitoring; periodically checking to ensure your site(s) maintain compliance
If you think your site(s) or mobile applications might not be compliant, odds are it's worth investigating. Xivic can help your company enjoy the peace of mind as well as all the benefits of WCAG 2.0 compliance. We'll ensure that your website provides a great experience for ALL users, no matter their challenge. Reach out to us for a free consultation, and get a free WCAG assessment of all your domains(s) and/or mobile applications.